Blog Series 2021-22
Starting in autumn 2021, we invited responses to Mark M. Smith’s A Sensory History Manifesto (2021) from a range of interdisciplinary and international perspectives related broadly to themes of health, medicine, senses and space. This blog series is funded by the UKRI Sensing Spaces of Healthcare project, which paid for contributors to receive a copy of the book. We will have 10 of these blogs in due course. The blogs are listed here, in reverse date order:
- Jonathan Reinarz, Response to ‘A Sensory History Manifesto’ 1: Senses, Biography & Medical History (October 2021).
Blog Series 2020-21
Starting in summer 2020, we invited website contributions from members of the Senses and Health/care Environments network and others working on subjects relevant to the Sensing Spaces of Healthcare project.
We summarise these here as ‘blogs’, but this is shorthand for a range of possible contributions from interviews to audio-visual and creative contributions. If you are interested in contributing, please see the Call for Contributions.
The blogs are listed here, in reverse date order:
- Shamhain Scannell, Wake Up and Smell the Roses (August 2021)
- Miranda Tuckett, Dying a Death of One’s Own (May 2021)
- Ann Hutchinson, Bringing Breathlessness into View (March 2021)
- Kate Binnie, First and Last Breath – notes on a soundscape (December 2020)
- Isabel Raynaud, Sanatoria, Spaces & Senses (November 2020)
- Quarantine in Siberia: An Interview with Corinne Doria (October 2020)
- Alice Hill-Woods, Glasgow’s Sick Kids: Time, Texture, Decay (September 2020)
- Mariana Silva Villela, Ambiences for Complementary and Integrative Practices: The Therapeutic Potential of Architecture and Interior Design in Brazil (September 2020)
- A Patient’s Experience of Surgery and Hospitals During a Pandemic (July 2020)
- Marie Allitt, Interview (July 2020)
- Sara Honarmand Ebrahimi, ‘Hospital Architecture beyond the “West”‘ (June 2020)
- Victoria Bates, ‘Making Senses’ (January 2020)
The ‘Sensing Spaces of Healthcare’ project and ‘Senses and Modern Health/care Environment’ network are hosts for authors’ material. All views expressed in the above are those of the authors and do not represent the views of the project, network, funders or affiliates. The responsibility for clearing rights to publish images or quote sources lies with the authors. All copyright remains with authors, and unauthorised reproduction is prohibited in line with copyright law.